Skip to main content

Carrot Tzimmes

 

Garnish with pomegranate seeds--these are unfindable right now due to Rosh Hashanah falling early, so use your imagination.

This is a vegetarian version of tzimmes, inspired by the recipe in Fress, by Emma Spitzer. I added a North African flair to the recipe and adapted for the ingredients I had available. I also made mine in the pressure cooker / Instant Pot.  It was well-reviewed at Rosh Hashanah dinner!

Ingredients


2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. butter [sub with more oil or high quality margarine if you want it pareve]
1 white onion, sliced thin
1/2 c. dried apricots, chopped
2 tsp. ras al hanout
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 tsp. harissa paste, to your desired level of spice
1-2 tsp. Kosher salt
6 large carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
1 1/2 c. water
Grated zest and juice of one orange
1 Tbsp. honey + extra to taste
1 Tbsp. molasses
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Pomegranate arils to garnish
Optional: 2 Tbsp. cold water + 1 tsp. cornstarch to thicken

Instructions

Heat the oil and butter in your pressure cooker base (or use IP on Sautee-->Low) for about 10 minutes until translucent. Add in the 1c. of water, spices, orange juice and zest, harissa, honey, molasses, and salt and combine. Mix in the sliced carrots. If you think you need the remaining 1/2 c. water, add it. 

Pressure cook on low for 20 minutes, then use the natural release method to vent the steam. Adjust the consistency to how thick/liquidy you want it by boiling off excess liquid or adding cornstarch slurry. 

Adjust the seasoning to your taste, adding in salt, lemon juice, honey, additional harissa. I am a more savory/spicy person, but other people like theirs very sweet. 

Garnish with pomegranate and serve as a side dish or topping. Honestly I'm never sure what category tzimmes fits into.  


Comments