Skip to main content

Turnips: not just starvation food anymore!















You may or may not know that Dan and I are splitting a CSA (community supported agriculture) share with our friend Kristine. It still seems to be 'springtime' at the farm, so we're deluged in greens of all sorts. One nice break from those, though, are the sweet little Hakurei turnips we get. Unlike the big, tough, purplish turnips you get from the store, these are small and tender. As you are probably not surprised to know, I just read the book "The Joy of Pickling" from cover to cover and now I'm completely inspired. I've made a number of recipes already, but I thought I'd sharea few photos to test out our new blog.

Here are the turnips themselves, nice and clean. A few weeks ago none of them were more than 1" across. Now they're growing.
















This time I pickled them thusly:
  1. Wash and peel one pound baby turnips, make X-shaped cuts in each end.
  2. Soak in brine of 1.5 c. water + 2 tsp. pickling salt for one hour, drain.
  3. Add one fresh jalepeno (it was supposed to be red, but I only had a green one and I added 1 tsp. of Korean hot pepper powder).
  4. Cover with 3 Tbsp. sugar dissolved in 1.2 c rice vinegar and place in a one-quart jar.
  5. Refrigerate 2 days before eating. Will keep for a long time.




















Looks pretty yummy, huh? I'll let you know how they are in one day!

Here's one more turnip recipe for the non-pickling inclined. I got it from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, by way of the Julie/Julia blog. Turnips and Parsley:
  1. Wash and lop the tops and tails off of a passel o' turnips, then quarter.
  2. Blanch in salted water, 2 min.
  3. Drain and return to pan, add enough chicken broth to cover + 1 Tbsp. butter.
  4. Simmer 15 min. or until tender.
  5. Drain off most of the broth, add more butter, plus minced fresh parsley and some white pepper.
It's a nice accompaniment to a meal, and the parsley really makes the dish. I was curious as to whether turnips actually have any nutrition to them all, so I looked them up. Legend has it, the French starved to death rather than adopt such a crude vegetable. This is probably not true, especially since turnips only have 33 calories per cup, and they probably would have starved anyway.

I also am fermenting some sauerruben, which uses grated turnips in place of cabbage in a lactic-acid fermentation. It should be ready in about a week and I'll let you know how it is. It had better be damn good, after hours of slaving away over a cheapo mandoline to grate the 'nips. Hooray for silage.

Wow I can't believe I've become a photo-posting food blogger. *shudder* At least this is for the good of the family.

Comments

Lillian said…
So I had some of the turnips a day early and mmmm they were good! I was just eating typical leftovers-on-rice and sliced some of the 'nips on top. They were tender but with some crunch, with a nice zingy flavor--and not too spicy (as I feared they might be). They are a nice accompaniment to a meal.
Lillian said…
I will also make another turnip recipe with that bag I showed in the pictures. It will be for Middle Eastern style pink pickled turnips (a beet is added for color). Now I just have to figure out a way to eat all these pickles.
Anonymous said…
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Popular posts from this blog

Thick-cut Pork Chops

These intimidating chops were actually pretty easy to cook. They're called an "Iowa Chop", and they're just a thick-cut, bone-in, center-cut chop. I've discovered that the secret to juicy pork chops is to start with a cold pan and obsessively checking the temperature . I find they're best just under 160 degrees. Pork Chops 2 1-lb. Iowa Chops 2-3 Tbsp. salt 2 Tbsp. white pepper 2 Tbsp. dried sage 2 Tbsp. Smoked (or regular) paprika 3 Tbsp. oil Sauce (optional): 1/2 c. chicken broth 1/2 c. white wine (I used Pinot Grigio) 2 Tbsp. corn starch 1 tsp. white pepper 2 tsp. Dijon mustard 1/4 c. cold water Preheat the oven to 350. Pat the chops dry with some paper towel. Sprinkle them liberally with the salt and spices and allow them to warm up to room temperature while you start the quinoa and chop the cauliflower. Place the oil in your pan, but do not pre-heat the pan. Add the chops to the pan and place them on the stove. Heat the pan up to medium, turning the chop

Miele Steam Oven Pulled Pork

I've been debating whether I should post some of these more niche recipes--now that we have a steam oven and a high powered stove, I am making recipes that not everyone can reproduce with other equipment. I've decided to post some of them 1) for my own records, and 2) because there are very few recipes available online for these devices (especially the steam oven). Perhaps these recipes will be of use to others. I don't have a photo for this one because I decided to post the recipe after the fact. 3-5 lb pork shoulder roast (~3 lb without bone, ~5 lb with) 1 large white onion, 1/4" slices 1 Tbsp. butter 1 chicken boullion cube 1 c. water 2 tsp. dried thyme 1 tsp. dried sage 1 tsp. whole coriander 1 Tbsp. coarse ground salt 1 Tbsp. brown sugar 1 tsp. dry mustard 1 tsp. white pepper 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. cayenne 1/4 tsp. allspice 1/4 tsp. celery seed Saute the onions in the butter in a saute pan over medium for 10 min until the onions are somewha

Baking Powder Dumplings

This is Mom's standard dumpling recipe, excellent with chicken soup. Drop them in, put the lid on, and enjoy. Ingredients: 2 cups flour 4 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 scant cup milk or water Preparation: Mix the dry ingredients, stir in the milk or water gradually to make a soft dough. Drop by spoonful into boiling salted water or simmering stew. Cover tightly, cook 10-15 minutes before lifting cover. Test for doneness, drain. Serve at once. Well, once they cool off so you don't burn your tongue. PS - This is post 199! Hope someone does something special for #200!